Skills Training College knows that you need the flexibility of an online course to suit your busy life. But expect to find the face-to-face practical training even more valuable because our professional trainers know how to make it a memorable experience.
Skills Training College (RTO#45654 | CRICOS #03884A) offers the nationally recognised HLTAID012 Provide First Aid in an education and care setting course online. The course has the following units:
- HLTAID009 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- HLTAID010 Provide basic emergency life support
- HLTAID011 Provide first aid
- HLTAID012 Provide First Aid in an education and care setting
It’s the course to do because it’s the government-approved first aid course for educators, teachers, and childcare support staff. It replaces the previous version HLTAID004 Emergency first aid response in an education and care setting.
So that you are really familiar with first aid knowledge, our online course requires some pre-course reading. Once you do that, we assess your knowledge about the course information with a series of multiple-choice questions. But there is still a 2-hour practical workshop where you train with realistic equipment to demonstrate your competence.
Where can the childcare course online take your career?
Our childcare course online is a nationally accredited qualification. What’s more it has ACECQA (Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority) approval.
This first aid course is the one you must do to work in childcare. Because the course gives you such valuable first aid skills and knowledge, it is a career advantage for anyone working in education. Although most of the course is online, hands-on training in the correct use of inhalers for asthma and EpiPens for anaphylaxis prepares you for common emergencies.
All that makes this course the best choice for those who want to enhance their credentials by becoming a:
- First Aid Officer
- WHS Representative
How is the online emergency first aid response course delivered?
Most of this online childcare and education first aid course takes place in the comfort of your home or office. You complete the pre-learning and assessment at your own pace, using our learning portal. Along with this is a face-to-face 2-hour Skills Practice & Assessment Workshop.
Before you begin the online course, you must complete some pre-course reading and a quiz. We will email you the quiz and reading material. The online course is self-paced, but all the assessments must be complete before you get the qualification.
What will you learn in the Skills Practice & Assessment Workshop ?
The Skills Practice & Assessment Workshop gives you hands-on training in performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). To that end, there are 3 sorts of manikin to practise on – adult, child and infant. That is because there are important anatomical differences between infants and adults. As well as performing CPR individually and as part of a team, you also get to practise using an AED defibrillator.
In addition, you will get training in bandaging techniques. For instance, snakebite requires a pressure bandage. As part of your practical training, you will learn how to put on a pressure bandage. Other bandaging techniques for things such as lacerations and burns are also part of the course.
These are just some of the things that you can expect to do in the Skills Practices and Asessment Workshop:
- CPR for adults, infants and children
- Positioning bodies to prevent airway obstruction
- Using an AED defibrillator for children and adults
- Visually assessing the casualty
- Using adrenaline auto injectors (EpiPens) to treat anaphylaxis
- Basic wound care
- Using bronchodilators (puffers) to treat asthma
We evaluate your skills in doing the following things:
- Performing CPR on infant, adult and child manikins
- Using a defibrillator
- Bandaging techniques
- Use of an EpiPen trainer or adrenaline auto-injector trainer
- Operating a placebo bronchodilator for asthma
What are the childcare first aid entry requirements?
There are no formal entry requirements for HLTAID012 Provide First Aid in an education and care setting. You can do the course from 14, but if you are under 18 years old you must have a consent form signed by a parent or guardian to enrol.
Basic computer skills and a reliable internet connection are essential for the online course.
Numeracy and Literacy
You must be able to:
- Complete an incident report
- Communicate assertively and effectively
- Read and understand the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) guidelines
Students who don’t meet these criteria can still be enrolled in a course if support strategies are in place.
For the practical workshop, you’ll need to be able to kneel and perform CPR without pause for at least 2 minutes.
Additional requirements for International Students:
International students on a student visa must:
- Be enrolled in a principal CRICOS course
- Be on a student visa permitting secondary short courses (students should check with the Department of Home Affairs before enrolling)
- Meet minimum English language requirements
What are the resources needed to complete the course?
To support you in your new course with Skills Training College, we will provide:
- Online Learning Portal
- Learner Guide
- Assessment Workbooks
- Incident report template
- Simulation scenarios/case studies
To complete your course you will need access to the following:
- Vasto online learning platform
- Internet access with a reliable speed of at least 5mbps
- Google Chrome
- MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel, or equivalent
- Adobe Acrobat Reader or equivalent
What are the course fees?
The Emergency First Aid Response in an Education and Care Setting Course costs only $89.
Please see Fees and Refunds Policy for more information.
What are the course pathways?
The HLTAID013 Provide first aid in remote situations unit* adds to the skills acquired in the childcare first aid course.
*This unit is not offered by Skills Training College.
Nationally Recognised Certificate Issued Same Day
Fully Accredited | No Hidden Costs | Same Day Certificates
On the day after the training course is successfully completed:
- All Statements of Attainment in HLTAID012 Provide First Aid in an education and care setting, (including HLTAID009 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation, HLTAID010 Provide basic emergency life support and HLTAID011 Provide first aid) are emailed (T&C)
- The HLTAID009 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation unit has to be updated every 12 months.