aged care course for international students


Training International Students in Aged Care

If you are an international student studying in Australia and you’re interested in working in aged care during your time here, Skills Training College has the course for you.

Australian universities and other higher education institutions can help international students find work, but often the jobs they can help you find are remedial and low-paying. It’s also not likely they’ll be in the aged care sector. Skills Training College’s aged care course can help people like you find the kind of work they want through our industry-tailored courses and nationally recognised qualifications. Those enrolled in our aged care course gain vital skills and knowledge thanks to the support of their dedication and passionate trainers.

Who We Are

Skills Training College is a leading registered training organisation in Australia. Our courses cater to the needs of both domestic and international students. Australia is one the best countries in the world when it comes to supporting international students, proven by how often they return to our shores or even choose to remain here permanently and our courses are a part of the reason why.

Our vocational education courses help international students find work and support themselves while they study in Australia. Anyone in the country on an appropriate student visa, including those in a student exchange program, can enrol in one of our courses specifically designed for international students, better shaping their future regardless of whether they stay in Australia when they’re done.

Australia is one the best countries in the world when it comes to supporting international students, and Skills Training College is one of this country’s leading registered training organisations. Our vocational education training courses help graduates find work in the fields they want while they’re studying in Australia. Among our offers are courses specialising in aged care, which is open to anyone in Australia on an appropriate visa looking to work in aged care while they study.

Our CRICOS Status

The Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) is a register maintained by the Australian Government that lists all education institutions approved to offer courses to international students studying in Australia on Student Visas.

Skills Training College is a CRICOS registered training provider. CRICOS stands for the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students, and is a register maintained by the Australian government which lists education institutions approved to offer courses to international students to ensure they meet quality education standards and provide a safe and supportive environment.

International Students - Aged Care - International Students - Aged Care


The official name of this qualification earned is Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing). A Certificate III in Individual Support comes with two possible elective streams, both of teach students skills in how to provide person centred support. One of these is disability support, and the other is aged care.

In the aged care stream of our Individual Support course, students gain valuable experience in how to provide personal support to people with unique needs. Providing personal support to older people consists of a variety of different tasks including tailoring a care plan, building a relationship with your patients, implementing infection control policies, adhering to standards of Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) and defined organisation guidelines, reporting risk and abuse, and more.

Young aged care nurse talking with elderly man in nursing home - Skills Training College Aged Care Courses

International Student Eligibility

There are no academic prerequisites to enrol in one of our aged care courses. There are, however, some minimum requirements they must meet first. To enrol in our course, all international students must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Have access to a computer and a reliable internet connection in order to complete the theoretical portion of their training
  • Be able to communicate in both written and verbal English
  • Be studying in Australia on a student visa or other temporary visa with a subclass 500.

book today

If you’re an international student in Australia looking to support yourself during your studies by working in the rewarding field of aged care, then Skills Training College has your answer. If you’re ready to get started on your journey then all you need to do to get started is book your course with us today.


Skills Training College’s range of courses mean that there are plenty of options for further study upon the completion of your course. Ongoing skills development is always available, however, these course are not always offered through us.

When it comes to our aged care courses, we unfortunately do not offer options for further study. Currently we do not offer a course to earn a Certificate IV in Ageing Support.

Yes. If you are an overseas students who is currently studying or about to study in Australia then you are more than welcome to work while you complete our course or a university course, so long as you have the correct student visa credentials.

Your work does not necessarily have to be related to your university or doctoral degree either. For example, students may complete a security training course and go on to work in security while studying medicine or another unrelated discipline at university.

If you are a potential student visa applicant than the best way to ensure that you receive a student visa with the correct credentials is to check with your country’s visa issuing authority when you fill out your visa application form as part of the application process. They will coordinate with the Australian home affairs department to ensure student visa applicants’ temporary visa have the credentials they need.

Obtaining adequate health insurance is one of the mandatory entry requirements for obtaining and maintaining a student visa in Australia. Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is designed to provide medical and hospital insurance coverage to international students during their stay in Australia.

Skills Training College does not offer accommodation for any of out students. Accommodation options are available through most Australian universities, and these must be resolved before you enter Australia.

Our training locations are easily found all over Australia. Once you’ve settled into your university course there’s bound to be one near you so that you don’t have to worry about travelling or finding overnight accommodation while studying with us.

To work in aged care in Australia, a Certificate III in Individual Support is absolutely necessary. Students must complete the course through the aged care elective stream before they can work effectively in the aged care industry.

While one can provide personal care to a family member or loved one in need without an aged care certification, it is not recommended. Without completing a course, care givers will not be able to fully understand what is required of a them, what the safe work practices for aged care are, nor their legal responsibilities as a care giver.

No. While a portion of this course must be completed online in students’ own time, working in aged care requires skills sets which can only be achieved through practical training.

Necessary skills include practical training in how to recognise healthy body systems, infection prevention and control policies, and the ability to assist clients with taking their medication, among others.

Emotionally, aged care work can be challenging. However, for a compassionate and motivated person whose heart is in the right place, the career outcomes can be just as rewarding.

Aged care workers face difficult situations no matter their specialty as they provide direct client care to people facing some of life’s most confronting challenges. Palliative care workers are constantly exposed to death as they make people comfortable at the end of their lives, and provide grief and loss support to both patients and their loved ones. Dementia care services are challenging as require workers to support people with reduced mental capabilities. Any aged care worker may also have to identify and report abuse where they see aged care services not properly enacted.

How easy it is to find work, work placement, or volunteer opportunities depends on where you want to go in your aged care career. Searching online is an easy way to find aged care residences, hospices, retirement villages, and other aged care facilities. Locations such as these often have volunteers in high demand, providing an easy first step into aged care work.

The facility in which you perform your practical placement may allow you to stay on as a volunteer. They may even be one of your potential future employers. If you’re struggling to find aged care work, or a location to perform your work placement’s hours, your trainer may be able to point you in the right direction.

If you’d like to do more than just provide ageing support to people in need, you can expand your specialty by undertaking further study to advance your career. Healthcare requires a diverse range of skill sets, and the best opportunities for further studies include some of the following:

  • Disability care. Disability support is an alternative elective stream to aged care for a Certificate III in Individual Support.

  • Manual handling. Healthcare offered requires moving patients safely, a skills taught in a manual handling course.

  • First aid. First aid provides a wide range of skills, such as CPR, all of which are essential to working in health or community services.

  • A blue card. A working with children check is essential to expanding your healthcare career to work with children. Please note this course is not offered through Skills Training College.

  • A Certificate IV. The logical next step after a Certificate III level, there are many Certificate IV opportunities each instructing students with different health skills. Currently, Skills Training College does not offer any Certificate IV courses in healthcare.